Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Chicka Chicka, Boom Boom: Letters with 1st Grade

This is a lesson I borrowed from my student teaching experience. On YouTube, I found the Scholastic video "Chicka Chicka, Boom Boom." I had students watch the video and ask them to pay close attention to the way the letters move.

After watching the video, I handed out paper to the students. I demonstrated how to turn a letter into something different, i.e. an H into a horse. I then had students draw the first letter of their name and turn it into something.

I feel like this may have been more successful if we had first done one all together, but I only have 25 minutes with 1st grade at the school I've taught this. Sad! Here are a few great examples!


C into Cat


T into a Table with an umbrella!


O into an Egg in a bird's nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird